All posts by makadog

Tuckpointing and bonus foundation: Rochester, NY

On a recent visit to Rochester, NY I noticed this gem of a building. While at first sight it may appear ordinary in its joint profile, further examination under the porch showed evidence of a well done tuckpoint joint, that has faded. there is also some evidence of a colorwash or stain that was applied to the brickwork and stopping mortar and has since faded. Alternatively this could be evidence that the red stopping mortar incorporated a red pigment which has almost completely faded. Only the proper sampling and examination of one of these mortar joints could offer some complete answer.

 

Also notice the pictures of a limestone foundation with a black beaded joint profile. This building is located behind the tuckpointed prick building. In fact you can see the rear of the building in the last photo. 

Tuckpointing: Simeon’s On the Commons Ithaca, NY

This was something I wanted to get to a long time ago but didn’t get around to. Simeon’s On the Commons shows evidence of Tuckpointing on its N Aurora st. facade. With the rebuild underway I am not sure if this section will be repointed, cleaned or otherwise remove the evidence of a once tuckpointed building or not. Either way, here are some photos from during the construction. one has been altered with highlights to see where it remains. hopefully at some point I can get a closeup prior to any work being done.

 Memorial Day Obelisk Repair

This past Memorial Day at Ithaca City Cemetery a great turn out of volunteers appeared to help clean and preform some maintenance. I can’t confirm the total number but from what I gathered it was near two dozen people who came and went, over the three hour morning volunteer period. Most of the time I spent was working on resetting a small obelisk about 3 ½ feet tall. The limestone base was in three pieces with the marble socket completely detached. The base stone was mortared together with a neat roman cement and the infilled with a pigmented roman cement to match the host base stone, to provide stability to the marble socket. The repaired base stone was leveled in gravel and sand. The marble socket was set with a Natural Hydraulic Lime 3.5 mixed with marble aggregate, on top of the base and then the obelisk set in the same mix. The color of the patch looked good after completion but I checked it a week later and it is indistinguishable from the host stone.

Check back soon for more photos to see how the patch has cured to match and the application of D/2 Biological Solution has cleaned up the marble.

Obelisk as found
Obelisk as found
Obelisk as found memorial day 2015
Obelisk as found memorial day 2015
Obelisk repair memorial day 2015
Obelisk repair memorial day 2015
Obelisk repair
Obelisk repair
Repair with Roman Cement and Natural Hydraulic Lime 3.5
Repair with Roman Cement and Natural Hydraulic Lime 3.5
Repair with Roman Cement and Natural Hydraulic Lime 3.5
Repair with Roman Cement and Natural Hydraulic Lime 3.5